[arch-dev-public] [signoff] new toolchain

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Wed Jun 11 19:20:39 EDT 2008

Am Wed, 11 Jun 2008 17:50:57 -0500
schrieb "Aaron Griffin" <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>:

> Thanks Andy, I will test and signoff by Friday, but I have a quick
> question first (I trust your opinion here) - do you think these
> changes warrant a rebuild of [core] entirely? I got a personal email
> wondering the same - if you think it is a good idea, I'd be more than
> willing to do some of the work, but if you think it's useless, then we
> won't do it.

We don't need to rebuild whole repositories with every major glibc/gcc
update. It's recommended to gain some speed improvements but it's not a
must. So far we did it only once with the core repo.

This glibc release this time has some improvements for x86_64 and
gcc4.3.x had some speedups at all. But nothing worth to spend much
time on it.
Once we have too much manpower or good scripts for using something like
automated makeworld or even a dedicated build machine we can recompile
even [extra] where some packages are still from 2004. Right now we
should focus on other stuff.

-Andy