[arch-dev-public] cleaned-up apache package

Dale Blount dale at archlinux.org
Fri Jun 20 08:51:53 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 14:38 +0200, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I commited a new apache to [testing]. I have removed the custom configs and
> index.html. Instead I just provide the upstream defaults. /home/httpd was
> removed, too. Instead error pages and images for dirlistings etc. are
> installed to /usr/share/httpd which seem more sane to me.

What were our modifications to the custom configs?  Anything done for
the user that is now manual should be a note in post_install (or a link
to the wiki with required changes).

> The were many discussions about the default document root. Of course /srv/www
> would be better than /home/httpd, but in the end I think it's the Arch way
> not to force user to either one of those. So let the user decide where to put
> their websites.

+1 on the change from /home, but I don't think /usr/share is the right
place.  /usr should be able to be mounted read-only except when software
is changed.  That's something you can't do if you keep websites
there.  /var/www or /srv/www are much better choices.

> As a result architecture-independent web packages should install
> to /usr/share. Users have to symlink or set aliases to their documentroot;
> whereever it is.
>
> For now I kept the use of the user and group "nobody" for the webserver. But I
> am not sure if that is the best way. Even apache's documentation advices us
> to create dedicated users and groups. What do you think about introducing a
> http user for this? (We allready have mail and ftp users for this)

+1 with a big note in post_install that this change is coming.  I'd like
to see all these changes in one Apache to not have two long downtimes
when upgrading.