[arch-dev-public] Java on archlinux

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Sun Jun 29 11:38:16 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 14:51 +0200, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 29. Juni 2008 01:29:11 schrieb Jan de Groot:
> > Making this switch means no official support for java-gcj-compat
> > anymore. If something continues working with java-gcj-compat, it's nice,
> > but if it doesn't, we don't consider it a bug.
> >
> > Please let me know what your thoughts are about this change.
>
> A working OS Java would be really nice. gcj wasn't a real alternative. How
> difficult is it to package?
>
> Maybe we could test it a while; but in the end I wouldn't mind replacing jdk
> by openjdk if everything works fine.

packaging isn't so difficult. It's nothing more than just downloading
openjdk sources, icedtea6 sources, applying a patch so openjdk knows to
find some important system binaries in /bin instead of /usr/bin (these
are in AUR), then running configure and make from the icedtea6 sources
and as final step, package up the resulting java sdk/jre directories in
the same way we do for the current JDK/JRE packages.

The AUR PKGBUILD contains a lot of patches and special steps to get this
thing built, but I don't see the need to do it that way. I'ld like to
keep this thing as vanilla as possible.