[arch-dev-public] Java on archlinux

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sun Jun 29 13:36:01 EDT 2008

Jan de Groot schrieb:
> Since a while, there's an alternative to java-gcj-compat, called
> icedtea. This project is based on openjdk, with the difference that
> missing pieces of openjdk are filled in with parts from GNU classpath.
> One example is the webbrowser plugin, that has been missing from x86_64
> since java's existence for this platform. The icedtea6 java environment
> passes sun's testsuite, making it a full blown GPL'ed java environment
> that is compatible with Sun's java. As it's developed by redhat, it also
> compiles fine with GCC 4.3, which we can't say about openjdk.

I always wanted to try openjdk/icedtea, but was too confused by the
different packages in AUR. The PKGBUILDs were difficult to read and
seemed to do "too much".

> I would propose to package icedtea/openjdk for archlinux and make it the
> prefered java environment. Packaging this java environment requires a
> java compiler, our current free java platform is able to build
> icedtea/openjdk from source.

A nice and clean package that gives me a fully compatible Java runtime
and a browser plugin would be very good. +16 from me.

As you said java-gcj-compat didn't work too well, at least with the
browser plugin.