[arch-dev-public] [signoff] udev 118-4

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sat Mar 8 12:14:36 EST 2008

Dan McGee schrieb:
>> , it's not
>>  possible to block framebuffer loading by udev rules.
>
> Can you please explain why? Thanks.

The current package has the rule
KERNEL=="fb[0-9]*", GOTO="hotplug_driver_loaded"

However, this rule cannot work: At the point where the driver is not
loaded, all you get is a uevent with a MODALIAS property, and without
resolving that modalias, you cannot know what module will be loaded.
Udev cannot set the KERNEL variable before the driver is loaded.

If we don't want to put those modules in load-modules.sh, we can only
put them in our normal blacklist, or blacklist them using a modprobe.d file.