[arch-dev-public] [signoff] udev 118-4

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 16:37:24 EST 2008

On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am Samstag, 8. März 2008 schrieb Dan McGee:
>

> > On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 4:58 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>
>  wrote:
>  > > On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 4:50 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org>
>  wrote:
>  > >  >  Somehow, module loading is considerably faster here than before (even
>  > >  >  fast than with 118-2)
>  > >
>  > >  Yeah, there were 2 filesystem globbing based loops in there that were
>  > >  the major killers... for every module load it was doing a "ls
>  > >  /foo/bar/*/*/blah" which is ridiculously slow.
>  > >
>  > >  >  >  Module loading and all that should be back to sanity, with
>  > >  >  > slightly improved performance due to moving the framebuffer modules
>  > >  >  > out to a udev rule.
>  > >  >
>  > >  >  Doesn't work: intelfb is loaded here (but doesn't do anything, as
>  > >  >  intelfb never worked).
>  > >
>  > >  Weird. Same thing here. I assumed it was working because it was
>  > >  balking before when it tried to load nvidiafb, and then stopped
>  > >  freaking out. Apparently, though, nvidiafb is loaded here... and doing
>  > >  nothing. So this udev rule to skip the modalias load fails... hrm
>  >
>  > Works for me. Signoff i686.
>  >
>  > -Dan
>
>  no signoff
>  please add the framebuffer blacklist again to load-modules.sh, it's not
>  possible to block framebuffer loading by udev rules.
>
>  framebuffer modules can cause weird issues for amd/ati and nvidia binary
>  drivers.

a) Removing it was a mistake but I absolutely _will not_ go back to
the old way. Do you know that my machine boots 17 seconds faster by
removing those two loops? 17 seconds, for one module which actually
works completely fine when loaded on my machine.

b) I have radeonfb and nvidiafb loaded on two different machines and
they work fine.

c) The *only* thing that is appropriate is to autoblacklist them via
modprobe rules.. Doing it the previous way is absolute crap.