[arch-dev-public] freezing core/extra - cleanup testing
aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 14:41:08 EDT 2008
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 7:14 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> to avoid any chaos in our repos we should think about freezing core and extra.
> I would propose that we set a date till when we should fix the outstanding
> bugs in core packages.
Hrm? We're always going to have bugs. Releasing while fixing bugs is
part of developing software. Are you talking about anything specific?
> Afaik there are only some problem with the new initscripts (e.g. hwclock
> problem) and I am unsure about netcfg. Shouldn't this be merged with
> initscripts? There seems to be some redundant code atm.
Initscripts also needs a bump to match the new ISO version, as we've
done in the past. Just recently, tpowa said "no rush we can get to it
on Wed or Thurs", so.... there's no rush right now.
Um, netcfg was actually split from initscripts. That was a bit of the
point. What code is redundant?
> After that we should be able to create a first release candidate of the new
> iso. Then we shhould concentrate on testing those isos.
Tpowa already released his ISO release plan. I always assumed tpowa
was the local authority on releasing ISOs, and him and I talk about
these things a lot. I assumed it's silly stuff that no one else needs
to know much about, but if you'd like, I can inform you of what we
talk about over jabber if you'd like.
> In parallel we have new libtool, gcc and friends in testing. So I would
> recommend that we only use testing for building packages and keep core/extra
In recent memory, we have waited until tpowa was ready to release a
new ISO. Then we would freeze, not core and extra, but testing. We do
not put any more packages in testing, more everything OUT of testing,
and then build the new ISOs. Tpowa, is this correct?
Additionally, extra is wholely unrelated to the ISO releases, so
there's no real reason to worry about it.
More information about the arch-dev-public