[arch-dev-public] [signoff] kernel26-

Tobias Powalowski t.powa at gmx.de
Mon Mar 24 14:28:13 EDT 2008

Am Montag, 24. März 2008 schrieb Dan McGee:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 1:08 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 1:01 PM, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa at gmx.de> wrote:
> >  > Am Montag, 24. März 2008 schrieb Dan McGee:
> >  > > On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa at gmx.de>
> >  >  > > Hi
> >  >  > >  kernel bump release for both arches in
> >  >  > >  testing, please signoff
> >  >  > >  added atheros l2 network adapter support (used in eee pcs)
> >  >  >
> >  >  > What was wrong with AUR for this? Why on earth do we keep adding
> >  >  > MORE PATCHES!?
> >  >
> >  >  more patches are so cool, you know ;)
> >  >  i hope one day you get new hardware and you are not able to get your
> >  > network working, then i want to hear you scream.
> >
> >  I have an Eee, I managed to pull off an FTP install just fine.
> >
> >  I compiled the driver by hand, just as has always been the case for
> >  out-of-tree driver with Arch if there is not already a separate
> >  package for it.
> >
> >  I did this 22 months ago for my zd1211 wireless stick before it was in
> >  the mainline kernel, and I had *0 days of desktop linux experience* at
> >  that time (on my own machine). 0 days. And now we bend over backwards
> >  for someone needing a driver? Ugh. I thought April fools and the
> >  rename to Newb Linux wasn't for another week.
> I just want to say that I'm frustrated, so sorry for unleashing here-
> I mean what I say, but am really not trying to start some back and
> forth war that we aren't going to be able to make a decision on.
> However:
> 1) Did we even have a bug report for adding atl2? I saw a forum thread
> that suggested building it from the AUR, which seemed like a valid
> solution.
Why do we always need bugreports?
I got the request on the 2008.03 ISO thread and read the patch site and
thought it's worth to add it.

> 2) atl2 is never going to make it upstream- I thought this was the
> criteria for adding a patch. Instead, an atlx driver is going to take
> the place of atl1/atl2. When did we change our patch inclusion
> criteria?
Probably it get replaced by such a driver in the future but not now in the .24
series and not in the .25 series.

> 3) You tell me in one thread that libarchive is too late, and two
> minutes later I see there is a new kernel that was probably made for
> the ISO. This confuses me.
> The communication and transparency here has had a HUGE breakdown.
If you would read the mail from yesterday evening there you should see what i
said needs to be signed off and moved for ISO creation/announcement and there
was no talk about libarchive.
glibc had a weird bug and klibc-kbd wrong depends that triggers a recreation,
along with this it was possible to add a new kernel package which supports
also atl2 network cards, so where is your problem?
Users are happy with the new ISOs, just read the Forum thread about it.

Tobias Powalowski
tpowa at archlinux.org