[arch-dev-public] [signoff] kernel26-2.6.24.3-6

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 14:14:49 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 1:08 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 1:01 PM, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa at gmx.de> wrote:
>  > Am Montag, 24. März 2008 schrieb Dan McGee:
>  >
>  > > On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa at gmx.de> wrote:
>  >  > > Hi
>  >  > >  kernel bump release for both arches in
>  >  > >  testing, please signoff
>  >  > >  added atheros l2 network adapter support (used in eee pcs)
>  >  >
>  >  > What was wrong with AUR for this? Why on earth do we keep adding MORE
>  >  > PATCHES!?
>  >  more patches are so cool, you know ;)
>  >  i hope one day you get new hardware and you are not able to get your network
>  >  working, then i want to hear you scream.
>
>  I have an Eee, I managed to pull off an FTP install just fine.
>
>  I compiled the driver by hand, just as has always been the case for
>  out-of-tree driver with Arch if there is not already a separate
>  package for it.
>
>  I did this 22 months ago for my zd1211 wireless stick before it was in
>  the mainline kernel, and I had *0 days of desktop linux experience* at
>  that time (on my own machine). 0 days. And now we bend over backwards
>  for someone needing a driver? Ugh. I thought April fools and the
>  rename to Newb Linux wasn't for another week.

I just want to say that I'm frustrated, so sorry for unleashing here-
I mean what I say, but am really not trying to start some back and
forth war that we aren't going to be able to make a decision on.

However:
1) Did we even have a bug report for adding atl2? I saw a forum thread
that suggested building it from the AUR, which seemed like a valid
solution.
2) atl2 is never going to make it upstream- I thought this was the
criteria for adding a patch. Instead, an atlx driver is going to take
the place of atl1/atl2. When did we change our patch inclusion
criteria?
3) You tell me in one thread that libarchive is too late, and two
minutes later I see there is a new kernel that was probably made for
the ISO. This confuses me.

The communication and transparency here has had a HUGE breakdown.

-Dan