[arch-dev-public] ArchISO FTP Installer - Testers Needed

Simo Leone simo at archlinux.org
Wed Mar 26 04:53:52 EDT 2008

Hey everyone,

I'd like to begin testing some preliminary work with the arch livecd
system. You can find a livecd rigged up to work as an ftp installer at:
http://dev.archlinux.org/~simo/archiso_tests/arch-ftp-live-1206519468.iso

This ISO consists of our current installer scripts and a functioning
arch livecd containing most of the base package set. It uses the grub
boot loader, which is likely to be changed to isolinux in the near
future. At this point, it's an i686-only thing, but an x86_64 version
will be coming soon.

If you've got some time to kill, please give the iso a whirl. You'll
find the installer and its documentation in its usual home at /arch/
on the livecd system. It'd be nice to have this tested on a large
variety of systems if possible.

**I need feedback on the following regarding ISO bootup**
- Did the grub loader work as expected?
- Did it pick up and load the module for your network hardware?
- Did it pick up and load the modules for your disk controllers?
- Any kernel panics, freezes, that sort of ugly stuff.

Please keep in mind that this is not intended to be production quality
at this point, and it's a very early version, so there are still a lot
of sharp edges that need to be smoothed out.

Thanks for your help,
-Simo

offtopic: archiso_tests also contains a hacky xfce4 livecd image you
 might want to play around with, although it's a little oldy moldy.