[arch-dev-public] kernel26 unionfs/aufs conflict

Paul Mattal paul at mattal.com
Wed Mar 26 11:22:30 EDT 2008

Simo Leone wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 04:10:08AM -0500, Simo Leone wrote:
>> Ok, let's assume for right now that we aren't going to drop either of
>> them. Would you, as the kernel maintainer, prefer the in-tree solution
>> of effectively aliasing the function names; or the out-of-tree solution
>> of patching aufs to deal with unionfs's function names? Either will work
>> just fine.
>>
> Hmmm on second thought, the out-of-tree solution is going to be slighly
> easier to deal with, and will save us having patches that depend on one
> another in the kernel.
>
> Please update the unionfs patch to this one:
> http://download.filesystems.org/unionfs/unionfs-2.x/unionfs-2.3.1_for_2.6.24.4.diff.gz
> And remove splice-2.6.24.patch .
>
> I will commit a patched aufs package to testing sometime soon after you make
> those changes.

Thanks for handling this, Simo. If it is determined that we want to
patch aufs to do things the cleaner way that maintains the
namespace, I'll do it.

We use aufs here for doing diskless nfs workstations for our whole
company. Once I get out from under the crushing load of real-life
stuff that has got me pegged until May, I hope to document/publicize
our methods for that.

Thanks to all of you for doing so much for Arch while I am unable. I
hope to get back on the bandwagon again as I emerge from under my rock.

Though we have some things to work on, Arch is still the best. :)

- P