[arch-dev-public] The move to SVN

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 17:22:05 EDT 2008

For the rest of the week, I am going to be concentrating on one big
thing: moving our repos to SVN.

Why is this important, after all the stuff I've been griping about,
you may ask? Because it's a 'blocker'. It's the most low-level
building block for a lot of the other changes I'd like to see done
regarding our repository management

So, here's the plan. I need one day where we make the switch over. It
will be rocky and annoying for that day, but it is also a break for
all of you

Here are the steps that this will involve:
   Set all the cvs repos to RO, so that we don't have any accidents
   Convert everything to svn
   Make the necessary structure changes
   Make devtools changes *
   Make abs changes *
   Make db-scripts changes *
   Make changes to community **

* Can be done before hand, without a new package release
** Paul and Simo, in need your input regarding doing this for
community as well. I have not looked at the scripts in a long time,
but how much effort do you think this would take?

Here is the end result, repo created ages ago by Jason[1]:
http://projects.xennet.org/svnarch/

It is a tad large, but SVN is nice in that it allows us to only check
out subdirs we want, so you can checkout just your packages (see
jason's archco tool[1])

We *will* lose history during this transition. It's something I'm
willing to live with, as this is not code history. We will still
archive CVS for posterity.

So, what do I need from you? Nothing. I'm making this easy in that I
will do all the work. I just need one thing: give me a day when it is
best. When you all want to take a mini-vacation and do no packaging at
all. If no one has a good day for this, I will probably do it on
Thursday or Friday.

Thanks,
Aaron

1: http://archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2007-October/002308.html