[arch-dev-public] On the road to KDE 4.1

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Thu May 29 16:43:22 EDT 2008

Hey guys,

I have made some packages of the first beta release of KDE 4.1. I had to
update some dependencies and put them into [testing]. I also cleaned up the
QT package. Due to a file conflict with kdelibs-4 I disabled phonon.

The PKGBUILDs are built from scratch and I tried to keep it as simple as
possible. This is more a test on how to package this stuff rather then
testing the next kde itself.

My suggestion would be: Let's create a kde-repo on top of our testing repo and
see how we can package it and manage the transition from kde3. I have setup
such a repo as an example:

[kde-testing]
http://users.archlinux.de/~pierre/kde-testing/x86_64/

There are the most important parts of KDE and in addition to this an example
of how we could handle old packages which depend on KDE3: kaffeine.

I would like to see some comments about this and some help would be nice,
too. :-)

Before putting this into you pacman.conf, please read this:

This repo is just for testing packaging. It's incomplete and will break
things. You should uninstall all kde3-stuff before: pacman -Rcsn kde

Last but not least: especially to all "adventurous users" out there: please
don't use this repo if you just want to have a look at the next kde; use one
of the live-cds instead.

Pierre

--
http://www.archlinux.de