[arch-dev-public] Questions about Archlinux branding/artwork for KDE

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Fri May 30 07:18:42 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 5:57 AM, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 6:24 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 6:57 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
>>> One should start kdm via inittab.
>>
>> I agree with Pierre, except for the rc.d script point - too many
>> people use it, and all the other login managers have rc.d scripts to.
>>

> Isn't there a little problem here?
> People should use inittab, yet many people use rc.d scripts.
> It is probably not a big deal since I guess both methods usually work
> fine, but maybe it should be somehow made clearer that inittab is the
> preferred way.
> For example by deprecating the rc.d scripts and planning a future
> removal instead of removing them now.

There are two perspectives- it is a problem, or it is flexible. Some
people never want to touch /etc/inittab and do all their config in
rc.conf, so the rc.d script works for them. Those that are more
interested in the workings of runlevels and init-spawned processes
would use inittab.

We've always supported both and our overhead is minimal to support it,
so we could maybe go and edit the wiki to make it more clear that
inittab is the preferred way, but I don't think we should exert more
force than that.

-Dan