[arch-dev-public] ffmpeg and an x264 upgrade

Paul Mattal paul at mattal.com
Sun Nov 9 07:50:48 EST 2008

On Nov 8, 2008, at 7:42 PM, Aaron Griffin wrote:

> Hey guys,
> I wanted to upgrade ffmpeg to the latest snapshot. Two things came up:
>
> a) Is there a reason we use date stamps for ffmpeg's version? It seems
> more straightforward to use the revision number. Any problems with me
> switching to that?

Seems fine to me to switch.

I chose date stamps is because I could then standardize across
different software using different version control formats, and so you
can easily tell how stale a snapshot was by looking at the pkgver.

A big upside of the revision number choice you suggest is that it's a
more precise mapping to particular source, which is compelling.

- P