[arch-dev-public] pkgstats: first results
pierre at archlinux.de
Sun Nov 9 11:54:29 EST 2008
I think you all are interested in the result of Allan's crazy idea to get some
stats about package usage. I spent some/alot time this weekend to present you
At first: I played a bit with gettext and some usefull pages are available in
German and English (depends on your browser's config):
* http://www.archlinux.de/?page=PackageStatistics (That's the one; be warnded:
atm it loads > 2MB of pure
For those who want to play with some sql queries, I have uploaded a (reduced)
Before announcing this we should discuss the results and talk about what we
learn about them.
I'll make a start: (topdown)
* extra and community have similar size
* more than 1200 submissions since friday. Thanks! :-)
* installation size varies from 126 to amazing 2800
* 1/4 use x86_64
* Nearly 70% of packages are from extra. Nice.
* Only 7% are installed from community and a similar amount
is in no official repo (Might be a sign that there is something wrong with
priorities in [community])
* About 2% from extra and 3% from community aren't used by anybody!
The unused kde-l10n pacakges are no problem; I create them automatically
* Nearly 20% of all users (that includes 3/4 i686) use lib32 packages.
* There are lots of rarly used packages in all repos
* kdemod-kdelibs is installed by 14,26 % while kdelibs fomr [extra] is
installed by 34,05 %. Maybe splitting support in makepkg and devtools should
get a higher priority
...that should do it for a start.
Telefon 0228 9716608
Mobil 0160 95269831
Jabber pierre at jabber.archlinux.de
More information about the arch-dev-public