[arch-dev-public] Get Arch Link

Thayer Williams thayerw at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 17:38:49 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Jeff Mickey <jeff at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> Maybe in the top "Welcome to Arch Linux!" blurb, we could put a link
>> with the word _download_ in it?  Or anywhere on the page?  Just as
>> long as the word download is there.  It's ubiquitous across almost all
>> sites with stuff to download.. except Arch.
>
> Agreed. I've run into this personally once ("Ok, where is that damned
> lin...oh there it is!"). Thayer? Any usability opinions here?

Dusty and I talked some months ago about overhauling the navigation of
archweb and making everything a drop-menu from the top.  I sent you
some quick mockups back then to illicit feedback, but they probably
got buried under more pressing issues.

I think the web navigation needs completely revamped--most folks don't
even know the sidebar links are there, and others miss the top
navigation (though I don't know how).  If we incorporate into a single
place, either the sidebar (ala Debian) or top menus (ala Web 2.0) I
think it will bring focus to the page as a whole.