[arch-dev-public] xorg move to extra?

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Sun Oct 19 11:06:12 EDT 2008

Am Sun, 19 Oct 2008 15:51:40 +0200
schrieb Jan de Groot <jan at jgc.homeip.net>:

> There's still some issues with catalyst:
> - the libdrm.so symlinking crap is weird, I got different reports
> about ati and/or xorg version of this one working
> - somehow the ATI driver looks in /usr/lib/dri instead
> of /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri.
>
> Besides that, I'd like to have some wiki documentation about the input
> hotplugging so people know how to tune it or turn it off if they don't
> want it.

Some notes from  8.55-080930a-070555E-ATI driver from the Ati beta
mailing list:

Additional notes

Installer has changed the default policy when installing for X Version
>= 7.

The libraries previously installed to /usr/lib*/xorg/ have now been
moved to /usr/lib*/.

Consequently, any user running the automatic install will use this new
default policy.

RedHat RPM installation has been updated to support this new policy.

The installer is unchanged for X Version < 7.

I still doubt we are allowed to redistribute the beta code Ubuntu
ships. I think they got a special exception for their upcoming release.
I could upload the license agreement I had to sign somewhere if someone
wants to check it.

If we are allowed to ship it we should start shipping a catalyst-beta
pkg soon just for testing.

Another issue I have run into was poor performance with the free Xorg
ati driver when we changed from git code to stable release. But I
haven't heard of other users running into this.

Anyway I will have a look at the latest catalyst and free drivers over
the next few days.

Anyway I