[arch-dev-public] xorg move to extra?

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Sun Oct 19 11:16:09 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 17:06 +0200, Andreas Radke wrote:
> I still doubt we are allowed to redistribute the beta code Ubuntu
> ships. I think they got a special exception for their upcoming
> release.
> I could upload the license agreement I had to sign somewhere if
> someone
> wants to check it.

If this is a problem, we should move my new PKGBUILD to AUR so people
can download it from ubuntu themselves and package it. We're not
violating any license then, as Ubuntu is the one providing the
prerelease driver.
You might want to ask on the beta mailinglist if we're allowed to ship
the ubuntu driver.

> If we are allowed to ship it we should start shipping a catalyst-beta
> pkg soon just for testing.

I don't think AMD will agree on shipping beta versions each and every
time. I think this driver is an exception because it makes the
difference between not working at all or working untested.

> Another issue I have run into was poor performance with the free Xorg
> ati driver when we changed from git code to stable release. But I
> haven't heard of other users running into this.

I got reports from a user that -git works with snapshots taken at
20081010 (later ones have issues again), so I'm thinking about updating
the snapshot to that date again.

Another thing is that The 2.5.0 intel driver will get released tomorrow.
There's a new 2.4.0 version of libdrm that has to be used with that new
driver. So far everything looks good, but it might be worth to test this
thing a bit (yes, I still get random crashes with 2.4.2 in some cases).