[arch-dev-public] xorg move to extra?

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Wed Oct 22 16:30:48 EDT 2008

Am Sun, 19 Oct 2008 17:16:09 +0200
schrieb Jan de Groot <jan at jgc.homeip.net>:

> On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 17:06 +0200, Andreas Radke wrote:
> > I still doubt we are allowed to redistribute the beta code Ubuntu
> > ships. I think they got a special exception for their upcoming
> > release.
> > I could upload the license agreement I had to sign somewhere if
> > someone
> > wants to check it.
> If this is a problem, we should move my new PKGBUILD to AUR so people
> can download it from ubuntu themselves and package it. We're not
> violating any license then, as Ubuntu is the one providing the
> prerelease driver.
> You might want to ask on the beta mailinglist if we're allowed to ship
> the ubuntu driver.
> > 
> > If we are allowed to ship it we should start shipping a
> > catalyst-beta pkg soon just for testing.
> I don't think AMD will agree on shipping beta versions each and every
> time. I think this driver is an exception because it makes the
> difference between not working at all or working untested.
> > Another issue I have run into was poor performance with the free
> > Xorg ati driver when we changed from git code to stable release.
> > But I haven't heard of other users running into this.
> I got reports from a user that -git works with snapshots taken at
> 20081010 (later ones have issues again), so I'm thinking about
> updating the snapshot to that date again.
> Another thing is that The 2.5.0 intel driver will get released
> tomorrow. There's a new 2.4.0 version of libdrm that has to be used
> with that new driver. So far everything looks good, but it might be
> worth to test this thing a bit (yes, I still get random crashes with
> 2.4.2 in some cases).

We are allowed to ship the Ubuntu based driver packages _this time_ as
an exception:

"Marsan, Luugi" <Luugi.Marsan at amd.com>:

Feel free the use the driver with your packaging scripts. However, you
should know that you can expect a beta driver in a day or two. It will
be targeted for Catalyst 8.11. 


Thanks for your answer. 

To clarify: is this an exception to allow us only this time to
distribute that (taken from Ubuntu) prerelease driver?

Or would you allow us to distribute every beta driver packaged for more
public testing giving you also more feedback?

"Marsan, Luugi" <Luugi.Marsan at amd.com>:

This whole situation was an exception. 

You CAN NOT distribute the beta drivers with the watermark. The driver
given to Ubuntu was a "production" driver, without the watermark and
that is why you can include it in your distribution. 

Do not distribute drivers given to the beta mailing list. 

This is a clear statement. Now Xorg move shouldn't be far away anymore.
We will try to make the best out of the "Ubuntu based prerelease"
driver for now and we will have to wait for final 8.11 driver for
further improvements.


More information about the arch-dev-public mailing list