[arch-dev-public] space problems on gerolde

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 13:45:57 EDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 8:24 AM, Dusty Phillips <buchuki at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/10/20 Dale Blount <dale at archlinux.org>:
>>> I think we should look into upgrading our disks. Dale, could you look
>>> into pricing and complexity of doing this? I know you mentioned that
>>> gerolde has no extra slots, so we're have to do an actual upgrade...
>>> Details would be appretiated
>>>

>> 300GB 80pin Ultra 320 drives are about $400 each.  Downtime would be
>> several hours to complete the upgrade work (disk copy, expand
>> partitions, expand filesystem, and probably an -Syu), and we'd want to
>> make sure we had a complete backup before beginning.
>
> If y'all are willing to weight until I sell out of USB keys, I can buy
> the drive out of schwag income.
>
> Any chance of selling the old drive or is it just scrap?
>
> Is it only disk space we're concerned with? I understood CPU usage was
> pretty high here too; maybe we should consider a fundraising drive for
> a second server. Maybe a public server and a dev server?

Eliott and I discussed this when he was a dev. We thought the best
idea would be to have a second server that was almost exclusively a
database machine, so no need for direct public access and could be
served off the second ethernet interface that is currently sitting
unused on gerolde. Offloading the DB to another machine would free up
a lot of RAM and allow a lot more caching to be done (reducing IO
waits), as well as giving the DB completely dedicated resources on
another machine.

Dale would obviously have to weigh in on this, and it really doesn't
solve the disk space issues, but it would drastically reduce some of
the load on our current machine.

-Dan