[arch-dev-public] space problems on gerolde

Paul Mattal paul at mattal.com
Mon Oct 20 13:54:25 EDT 2008

Dan McGee wrote:

>>> 300GB 80pin Ultra 320 drives are about $400 each.  Downtime would be
>>> several hours to complete the upgrade work (disk copy, expand
>>> partitions, expand filesystem, and probably an -Syu), and we'd want to
>>> make sure we had a complete backup before beginning.
>> If y'all are willing to weight until I sell out of USB keys, I can buy
>> the drive out of schwag income.
>>
>> Any chance of selling the old drive or is it just scrap?
>>
>> Is it only disk space we're concerned with? I understood CPU usage was
>> pretty high here too; maybe we should consider a fundraising drive for
>> a second server. Maybe a public server and a dev server?
>
> Eliott and I discussed this when he was a dev. We thought the best
> idea would be to have a second server that was almost exclusively a
> database machine, so no need for direct public access and could be
> served off the second ethernet interface that is currently sitting
> unused on gerolde. Offloading the DB to another machine would free up
> a lot of RAM and allow a lot more caching to be done (reducing IO
> waits), as well as giving the DB completely dedicated resources on
> another machine.
>
> Dale would obviously have to weigh in on this, and it really doesn't
> solve the disk space issues, but it would drastically reduce some of
> the load on our current machine.

I really like the idea of a separate database server (obviously
connected on a very fast link to Gerolde). I acknowledge that
doesn't solve the disk space problem, so I think the drive upgrade
should also be done.

Can we do any processor upgrades in Gerolde that would be
financially sensible? Adding or upgrading existing ones?

- P