[arch-dev-public] Risky business: udev upgrade

Sat Sep 6 14:37:20 EDT 2008

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008, Aaron Griffin wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 4:28 AM, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 1:45 AM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> start_udev is still there because people were jackasses and didn't
>>> update initscripts when they updated udev.... or something.. I can't
>>> remember the issue, but it was people being foolish and expecting
>>> their systems to boot fine.
>>>
>>> Is everyone ok with removing it?
>>>

>> A suggestion was made 3 times to simply add a conflict line :
>> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11112#comment31331
>>
>> This is just a safety against foolish people.
>
> Added locally.
>
> Copied from arch-general (whoops, replied to the wrong list) regarding
> the readme file we ship with the udev package
>
>> Actually, I think we should remove this file. Reloading rules and all
>> that is covered by the man pages and any arch specific documentation
>> should be added to a wiki page so anyone can edit it.
>>
>> Any issues with removing this? We don't ship custom readme's with any
>> other packages that I know of.

I do ship a custom readme for qingy. At first, I was pointing people to
the wiki article I had created. Then, I got somewhat uneasy about having
to rely on a document that anyone can edit (qingy is a login manager so
it's somewhat critical) even though I was receiving email notification
everytime the article was edited. Therefore, I put the wiki info in a
readme. In the case of udev, if you want to rely on the wiki, someone
should watch the article edits carefully.

> Additionally, do we need the migrate-udev script anymore? I sincerely
> hope not. Any qualms with killing THAT off too?

believed to be clean.