[arch-dev-public] [signoff] udev 128-1

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Sep 12 07:07:28 EDT 2008

Allan McRae schrieb:
> So, the dependency path from gnome-network-manager to udev is:
> |--gnome-network-manager
>   |--networkmanager
>      |--hal
>         |--udev
>
> It appears hal needs a rebuild because of the libvolume_id soname bump
> in the udev package.  Updating udev then restarting hal and
> networkmanager make my internet die.  I very quickly tried rebuilding
> hal but it failed....
>
> checking whether to rebuild gperf header files... checking for DBUS... yes
> checking for GLIB... yes
> checking if GLib is version 2.14.0 or newer... yes
> checking for VOLUME_ID... configure: error: Package requirements
> (libvolume_id >= 0.77) were not met:
>
> No package 'libvolume_id' found
>
> Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
> installed software in a non-standard prefix.
>
> Alternatively, you may set the environment variables VOLUME_ID_CFLAGS
> and VOLUME_ID_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
> See the pkg-config man page for more details.

This is definitely a blocker. I am confused though, as volume_id is only
required for hald-probe-storage and hald-probe-volume, which should not
block hal from starting.

Does hal start up at all and if yes, what processes are running (ps
ax|grep -i hal)?

As your problem seems related to networkmanager, is the interface
present? Do the missing dmesg lines (about firmware and LED) show up
when you simply run ifconfig wlan0 up?