[arch-dev-public] [signoff] udev 128-1

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Fri Sep 12 08:22:04 EDT 2008

Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Allan McRae schrieb:
>> So, the dependency path from gnome-network-manager to udev is:
>> |--gnome-network-manager
>>   |--networkmanager
>>      |--hal
>>         |--udev
>>
>> It appears hal needs a rebuild because of the libvolume_id soname
>> bump in the udev package.  Updating udev then restarting hal and
>> networkmanager make my internet die.  I very quickly tried rebuilding
>> hal but it failed....
>>
>> checking whether to rebuild gperf header files... checking for
>> DBUS... yes
>> checking for GLIB... yes
>> checking if GLib is version 2.14.0 or newer... yes
>> checking for VOLUME_ID... configure: error: Package requirements
>> (libvolume_id >= 0.77) were not met:
>>
>> No package 'libvolume_id' found
>>
>> Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
>> installed software in a non-standard prefix.
>>
>> Alternatively, you may set the environment variables VOLUME_ID_CFLAGS
>> and VOLUME_ID_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
>> See the pkg-config man page for more details.
>
> This is definitely a blocker. I am confused though, as volume_id is
> only required for hald-probe-storage and hald-probe-volume, which
> should not block hal from starting.
>
> Does hal start up at all and if yes, what processes are running (ps
> ax|grep -i hal)?

Hal starts up fine.  With the new udev I get the following processes:

/usr/sbin/hald
hald-runner
/usr/lib/hal/hald-addon-cpufreq
hald-addon-acpi: listening on acpi kernel interface /proc/acpi/event

With the old udev I also get:

/usr/lib/hal/hald-addon-dell-backlight
hald-addon-input: Listening on /dev/input/event1 /dev/input/event2
/dev/input/event3 /dev/input/event4 /dev/input/event5 /dev/input/event6
hald-addon-storage: polling /dev/sr0 (every 2 sec)

The storage one will be a libvolume_id issue but not sure about the
other two.

> As your problem seems related to networkmanager, is the interface
> present? Do the missing dmesg lines (about firmware and LED) show up
> when you simply run ifconfig wlan0 up?

Running "ifconfig wlan0 up" adds these lines to the dmesg output.