[arch-dev-public] Add texinfo in base group?

Mon Sep 22 01:45:40 EDT 2008

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008, Aaron Griffin wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 12:19 AM, Eric Belanger
> <belanger at astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just want to point out FS#11501.  Basically, as we are now adding info
>> pages to packages, we are using a .install file which runs install-info.
>> This tool is part of texinfo. Therefore we should either add a dependency on
>> texinfo to all these packages or alternatively add texinfo to the base
>> group.
>>
>> Personnally, I prefer adding texinfo to the base group. It is simpler and
>> would make more sense as the tools for the man pages are already in base.
>> Let me know what you think. texinfo is currently out-of-date so I could do
>> that change at the same time.
>
> That sounds ok to me, but I *do* want to point out something that
> we've some of us have been irritated about for some time - even IF we
> assume all of base is installed, we should still probably have proper
> dependency info. I think we should actually do both.... put it in
> base, AND make sure we maintain proper deps

Yes, doing both would be ideal. The current packages with a missing
depends on texinfo:

/var/abs/core/binutils
/var/abs/core/gcc
/var/abs/core/glibc
/var/abs/core/libgcrypt
/var/abs/core/libtool
/var/abs/core/nano
/var/abs/extra/enblend-enfuse
/var/abs/extra/gdb
/var/abs/extra/libidl2
/var/abs/extra/libtasn1
/var/abs/testing/gmp
/var/abs/testing/libgcrypt
/var/abs/testing/mpfr

We should fix the testing packages that are waiting for signoff. As for
the rest, they include big packages (i.e. toolchain) that needs to go to
testing first. So updating them to just fix the missing depends might be
too much work. I could just add the texinfo dependency in svn so it
doesn't get forgotten the next time we update these packages.

believed to be clean.