[arch-dev-public] FYI - Kernel 2.6.27-rc8

Jud jud at judfilm.net
Tue Sep 30 22:25:53 EDT 2008

Linus has released 2.6.27-rc8.

"So yet another week, another -rc," began Linux creator, Linus
Torvalds, announcing the 2.6.27-rc8 Linux kernel. He continued, "this
one should be the last one: we're certainly not running out of
regressions, but at the same time, at some point I just have to pick
some point, and on the whole the regressions don't look _too_ scary.
And -rc8 obviously does fix more of them." Linus went on to note that
most of the changes since -rc7 are small, "and there aren't even a
whole lot of them."

Jiri Kosina cautioned that there is still an unknown bug affecting the
e1000e driver currently in the 2.6.27 kernel, "rendering the cards
unusable for most of the i-am-not-a-hacker users (and remember, even
Dave Airlie bricked his laptop completely to death, when trying to
restore eeprom contents)" When asked how to duplicate the bug, Jiri
noted that the inability to reliably reproduce the bug added to the
difficulty in debugging the problem, "apparently it is some kind of
race, as it usually takes multiple cycles to trigger".

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/2.6.27-rc8_This_One_Should_Be_The_Last_One

"One assumes that the final 2.6.27 release will not happen before that
gets fixed."

http://lwn.net/Articles/301034/