[arch-dev-public] Mplayer in two separate packages

Hugo Doria hugodoria at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 12:42:17 EDT 2009

There is an old feature request for mplayer [1]: create it using two
separate packages, one with only the CLI version and one for the GUI.

There are some reasons for this:

1) By default the GUI is not enabled on mplayer
2) The package will not depend on gtk2
3) The user will be able to choose which GUI he wants to use. Now
gmplayer is installed, even when the user wants to use another GUI, or
do not use a GUI at all.

Obviously there are some points that need to be discussed:

1) We do not usually split packages. Maybe this case is not a real
division of packages because, by default, the GUI is not compiled.
Don't know.
2) What do we do with the GUI version? Keep it on [extra] or move to
community/AUR?

I would like to hear your opinions.

[1] http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10220

-- Hugo