[arch-dev-public] Mplayer in two separate packages

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sat Apr 18 22:23:21 EDT 2009

Hugo Doria wrote:
> There is an old feature request for mplayer [1]: create it using two
> separate packages, one with only the CLI version and one for the GUI.
>
> There are some reasons for this:
>
> 1) By default the GUI is not enabled on mplayer
> 2) The package will not depend on gtk2
> 3) The user will be able to choose which GUI he wants to use. Now
> gmplayer is installed, even when the user wants to use another GUI, or
> do not use a GUI at all.
>
> Obviously there are some points that need to be discussed:
>
> 1) We do not usually split packages. Maybe this case is not a real
> division of packages because, by default, the GUI is not compiled.
> Don't know.
> 2) What do we do with the GUI version? Keep it on [extra] or move to
> community/AUR?
>
> I would like to hear your opinions.
>
> [1] http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10220
> [2] http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=18516

Given we have smplayer and gnome-mplayer for frontends in the repos, I
have no real issues with this (although I do use gmplayer when launching
podcasts graphically from gpodder).

Saying that, gtk2 is on ~98% of machines (according to pkgstats), so
what is actually being gained here?  From memory, the binary size
increase is neglibale and we are adding a dep the everybody probably has
anyway. I always thought this was a fairly stupid request...

Allan