[arch-dev-public] python-2.6.2 and files in /usr/lib/python2.5

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Mon Apr 20 02:07:45 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 10:35 +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> Jan de Groot wrote:
> > On Sat, 2009-04-18 at 21:00 +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I have just put python-2.6.2-1 into [testing].  This remove the
> >> python-2.5 compatibility sitepath so anything not rebuilt since
> >> python-2.6 was release will be broken.  The list of broken packages as
> >> of yesterday is in FS#13831
> >> (http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/13831?getfile=3375).
> >>
> >> Note that these don't need built against the python in [testing] to be
> >> fix, just rebuilt against an python-2.6 package.
> >>

> > While you're updating python, could you also
> > link /usr/lib/libpython2.6.so to the path where libpython2.6.a is
> > located inside the package? I did this in my build chroots, and it
> > causes applications to link dynamic instead of static against the python
> > library. Without this, inkscape won't even link to libpython at all.
> >

> So programs are detecting /usr/lib/python2.6/config/libpython2.6.a but
> not /usr/lib/libpython2.6.so....  that seem rather screwed up!
>
> I'll commit it to CVS so the change will get pulled in either when I gt
> around to it or with the readline rebuilds.

Some programs use python to get the config path and the name of the
python library. Some ask about the dynamic one specifically and won't
get it because it isn't there, others will just link to the static one.
Fedora also adds this symlink, and after making these links in my build
chroots, programs like inkscape and epiphany link dynamic to the python
interpreter.

Note that CVS is read-only for a while now, please commit it to SVN ;)