[arch-dev-public] Do not touch user's home dirs in install scripts

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Mon Apr 20 08:12:54 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I just noticed that a lot of install scripts (in my case nearly all font
packagescalling fc-cache) touch the users home dir in some way. So please
don't use fc-cache without the -s parameter.

In my case the home dir was mounted via AFS including thousands of
accounts. And root does not even have permission to read or write the
user's dir. So while un/installing ttf-bitsream-vera the whole systems
hangs and fc-cache somehow produces a soft-lockup. :-)

--

Pierre Schmitz

Clemens-August-Straße 76
53115 Bonn