[arch-dev-public] gcc-4.4.0 toolchain rebuild with query about gcc-gcj and related packages

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Sat Apr 25 15:00:28 EDT 2009

Am Sat, 25 Apr 2009 21:15:08 +1000
schrieb Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org>:

> Hi all,
>
> The gcc-4.4.0 toolchain rebuild is now in [testing].  Here is a rough
> ChangeLog:
>
> kernel-headers:
>   - upstream updated (2.6.29.1)
>
> glibc:
>   - update cvs snapshot from 2.9 branch
>   - removed glibc-2.5-localedef_segfault-1.patch (old and appears
> fixed upstream)
>   - removed glibc-2.7-bz4781.patch (rejected upstream as bug in gcc -
> Andy: please check if your issue is solved)

Afaik this was the patch to prevent full load with (gcj)java on x86_64
architecture. If openjdk6 is not affected I'm fine with dropping that
patch.

>   - compress info pages
>   - fix info page handling in install script
>
> binutils:
>   - update cvs snapshot from 2.19 branch
>   - remove texinfo dep through install script
>   - add upstream patch to improve -Wl,--as-needed usage
>   - add linker scripts for libbfd.so and libopcodes.so
>   - compress info pages
>
> gcc-libs
>   - new makedepends (ppl and cloog-ppl)
>   - removed unneeded bison build patch
>   - removed treelang (done upstream)
>
> gcc
>   - removals as in gcc-libs
>   - added dependencies on new packages ppl and cloog-ppl (for
> graphite optimizations)
>   - update libstdc++ man pages
>   - install license exception
>   - compress info pages
>

> I am having great difficultly getting a working gcc-gcj...  It builds
> fine using the gcc-gcj-4.3.x package but when I rebuild eclipse-ecj
> with the freshly built 4.4.0 package, I can not rebuild gcc-gcj
> again. Updating eclipse-ecj to the latest build does not fix the
> issue.  After two and a half days of trying to track this down, I am
> ready to give up.  If someone else wants to look at this, go ahead
> but...
>
> Do we really need gcc-gcj, eclipse-ecj and java-gcj-compat any more?
> Reason I see for removing it:
>  - I can't get it to build
>  - java-gcj-compat provides java-runtime, but I checked six packages
> in the repos against this and none actually fully worked
>  - which also is very bad as it is the first package found by pacman
> for java-runtime
>  - we have a free java now in openjdk6
>
> Opinions?

I'm fine with dropping gcj and compat pkg. Not sure if eclipse-ecj
compiler is still needed to build other packages in extra that can't be
build with other remaining packages.

> Allan

GCC is broken. German website www.heise.de proved new gcc can't compile
SPEC suite. See gcc main mailing list. They're working on a fix.

Question: Is it safe to build regular packages except kernel/modules in
testing with new toolchain and move them later to core/extra before the
toolchain moves?

-Andy