[arch-dev-public] [arch-general] [signoff] udev-145-1

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Mon Aug 3 09:14:18 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-03 at 15:47 +0300, Roman Kyrylych wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 14:13, Daenyth Blank<daenyth+arch at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 04:39, Roman Kyrylych<roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I don't really understand why minimal .25 kernel is a problem?
> >> Aren't we the bleeding edge distro?
> >>
> > For some virtualized providers (slicehost off the top of my head),
> > they use their own kernel that isn't as up to date. This update would
> > break all such hosted Arch servers.
>
> IgnorePkg?
> And how often are such hosted Arch servers updated anyway?
> And we do not support custom kernels officially anyway.
>
> What I'm trying to say is that holding updates because of this is not
> acceptable IMO.

Not updating udev will keep us away from new innovations. For glibc,
supporting kernel 2.6.18 means adding some compatibility code. For udev,
staying compatible with 2.6.18 means no support for devicekit-* in the
near future.
People who are forced to use old kernels should just stick to an older
udev, or use static /dev. These people will be locked out from new
things like devicekit-power and devicekit-disks in the near future, but
I assume people running old kernels because of virtualization won't run
GNOME or KDE desktops on it.