[arch-dev-public] [arch-general] [signoff] udev-145-1

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 09:46:11 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 8:14 AM, Jan de Groot<jan at jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-08-03 at 15:47 +0300, Roman Kyrylych wrote:
>> >>
>> > For some virtualized providers (slicehost off the top of my head),
>> > they use their own kernel that isn't as up to date. This update would
>> > break all such hosted Arch servers.
>>
>> IgnorePkg?
>> And how often are such hosted Arch servers updated anyway?
>> And we do not support custom kernels officially anyway.
>>
>> What I'm trying to say is that holding updates because of this is not
>> acceptable IMO.

I didn't say "holding updates", I just wanted to either find a
workaround if available so as not to break user systems completely.
Ever had to rescue a remote server because sshd didn't come up?

Not supporting custom kernels *officially*? Of course. Not supporting
custom kernels? Did something change in the past 4 years that I
missed? I thought Arch was always a bit of a DIY distro, it's rather
shortsighted to assume one kernel fits everyone...

> Not updating udev will keep us away from new innovations. For glibc,
> supporting kernel 2.6.18 means adding some compatibility code. For udev,
> staying compatible with 2.6.18 means no support for devicekit-* in the
> near future.
> People who are forced to use old kernels should just stick to an older
> udev, or use static /dev. These people will be locked out from new
> things like devicekit-power and devicekit-disks in the near future, but
> I assume people running old kernels because of virtualization won't run
> GNOME or KDE desktops on it.

I'll shoot an email to Slicehost on my behalf to see what kernels they
have available. What other VPS providers offer Arch? It isn't a tough
thing to find out how much we can get away with here.

-Dan