[arch-dev-public] [draft] KDE 4.3: packaged and split
pierre at archlinux.de
Mon Aug 3 16:36:47 EDT 2009
This is a draft for a little announcement about the KDE 4.3 packaging changes.
If nobody complains I'd like to put this online quite soon.
The new major release of KDE does not only include exciting upstream
improvements and new features but also introduce a new set of packages that
makes it possible to only install those applications you like.
All important changes in short:
* split packages; for more Information see
* Qt uses the Gstreamer backend for Phonon by default. Other backends like
phonon-xine can be installed optionally.
* Meta packages ensure a smooth upgrade and emulate the old monolith packages
for those who prefer them.
Important hints for upgraders:
* Check if your mirror is up to date.
* pacman will ask you to replace all kde packages with kde-meta packages.
* Don't force an update. 'If pacman complains about conflicts please file a
* You can remove the meta packages and the sub packages you don't need after
* If you don't like split packages just keep using the kde-meta packages.
Information about upstream changes will be available at
Pierre Schmitz, http://users.archlinux.de/~pierre
More information about the arch-dev-public