[arch-dev-public] Default LDFLAGS for official packages

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Wed Aug 12 08:51:21 EDT 2009

Allan McRae schrieb:
> Thomas Bächler wrote:
>> I think we should agree on a default LDFLAGS setting for our official
>> packages. In the pacman signoff thread, it was suggested to use
>> -Wl,--as-needed and later also -Wl,--no-undefined (and more). Can we
>> compose a default LDFLAGS line that we all should use?
>>

> I will again propose:
> -Wl,--hash-style=gnu -Wl,--as-needed
>
> Last time I tried, --no-undefined broke quite a few packages so I don't
> think it is ready for general use yet.

Thanks again for the clarification w.r.t. the hash-style. IMO,
--as-needed is a must (any breakage can be reported upstream).
--no-undefined seems useful, but if you say it breaks a large portion of
our packages, then I support your proposal.

BTW, we should include default CFLAGS/LDFLAGS for official and community
packages in the packaging guidelines, and recommend AUR users to use
those as well, so they will test their packages in the right
environment. If this breaks any package, the flag(s) should be unset
inside the PKGBUILD and a comment should be added.