[arch-dev-public] Default LDFLAGS for official packages

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Wed Aug 12 10:40:16 EDT 2009

Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Allan McRae schrieb:
>> Thomas Bächler wrote:
>>> I think we should agree on a default LDFLAGS setting for our
>>> official packages. In the pacman signoff thread, it was suggested to
>>> use -Wl,--as-needed and later also -Wl,--no-undefined (and more).
>>> Can we compose a default LDFLAGS line that we all should use?
>>>

>> I will again propose:
>> -Wl,--hash-style=gnu -Wl,--as-needed
>>
>> Last time I tried, --no-undefined broke quite a few packages so I
>> don't think it is ready for general use yet.
>
> Thanks again for the clarification w.r.t. the hash-style. IMO,
> --as-needed is a must (any breakage can be reported upstream).
> --no-undefined seems useful, but if you say it breaks a large portion
> of our packages, then I support your proposal.

I would not say a large portions, but enough to be annoying.  It is
likely to be useful in the future.

> BTW, we should include default CFLAGS/LDFLAGS for official and
> community packages in the packaging guidelines, and recommend AUR
> users to use those as well, so they will test their packages in the
> right environment. If this breaks any package, the flag(s) should be
> unset inside the PKGBUILD and a comment should be added.

The flags will be added to the Arch pacman package's makepkg.conf file
so everybody will get them.  I agree that issues with LDFLAGS should be
handled the same way we currently deal with issues with CFLAGS.  In the
future, I intend to implement !cflags and !ldflags options in
PKGBUILDs/makepkg that unset the values defined in makepkg.conf.

Allan