[arch-dev-public] udev-149...

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Dec 3 20:21:31 EST 2009

Andreas Radke schrieb:
> mkinitcpio is broken for my notebook with new .32 kernels and kms. I
> mailed about the new kernel some time ago. Somebody had already asked
> about a new release. Udev needs a lot of love these days and the new
> kernel is also out.
>
> But it's more a general feeling that has come over me that in the last
> weeks the number of active developers has decreased again.

tpowa is already working on 2.6.32 and your problem with KMS is not a
problem in mkinitcpio.
About udev - we have a problem with cryptsetup that will cause
regressions if we move the current udev+device-mapper to core, and I
still have no solution for those.

That said, releasing a new mkinitcpio with a bugfix is not possible if
commits are being pushed that obviously break existing setups without
any reasonable upgrade path. The reason for that breakage is that some
people think sh-compatibility is more important than anything else:
http://projects.archlinux.org/mkinitcpio.git/commit/?id=984cbd4eb023001668eea530e2b5ed2e57ba3693
And then you also add a warning that is printed every time mkinitcpio is
run. So now before I can release anything, I have to clean up other
people's commits first.