[arch-dev-public] udev-149...

Tobias Powalowski t.powa at gmx.de
Fri Dec 4 02:24:12 EST 2009

Am Freitag 04 Dezember 2009 schrieb Thomas Bächler:
> Andreas Radke schrieb:
> > mkinitcpio is broken for my notebook with new .32 kernels and kms. I
> > mailed about the new kernel some time ago. Somebody had already asked
> > about a new release. Udev needs a lot of love these days and the new
> > kernel is also out.
> >
> > But it's more a general feeling that has come over me that in the last
> > weeks the number of active developers has decreased again.
>
> tpowa is already working on 2.6.32 and your problem with KMS is not a
> problem in mkinitcpio.
> About udev - we have a problem with cryptsetup that will cause
> regressions if we move the current udev+device-mapper to core, and I
> still have no solution for those.
>

> That said, releasing a new mkinitcpio with a bugfix is not possible if
> commits are being pushed that obviously break existing setups without
> any reasonable upgrade path. The reason for that breakage is that some
> people think sh-compatibility is more important than anything else:
> http://projects.archlinux.org/mkinitcpio.git/commit/?id=984cbd4eb023001668e
> ea530e2b5ed2e57ba3693 And then you also add a warning that is printed every
>  time mkinitcpio is run. So now before I can release anything, I have to
>  clean up other people's commits first.

Udev-149 removes /dev/hd* rules, the question is if we should add it as compat
rules, i don't know how stable the ata subsystem is on .27 lts series.
Also we can think of removing the old ide subsystem from kernel .32 series and
mkinitcpio.
I think it can stay until it's removed from kernel anyway, any other opinions?

thanks
greetings
tpowa

--