[arch-dev-public] Punishment needed for not building in a chroot

Daenyth Blank daenyth+arch at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 19:36:20 EST 2009

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 19:18, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Seriously? A chroot takes ~600MB.  At build time, even for the most dep
> heavy application, I doubt you will go much beyond 1GB plus space for the
> build files.  Say 1.5GB for most packages.
That's true, but I frequently don't have that much space. I'll see if
I can play with my partition scheme and take some space from another
though.

> How do you build packages against [(community-)testing] or not
> [testing] as required?  Or do you not help in the rebuilds for library
> soname bumps?
I don't believe any of my packages have needed any rebuilds needed
since community-testing was enabled. I'll probably use the arch-games
machine to be honest if I need to in the future.

> I am very much of the opinion that if you can not build a package in a clean
> chroot, then you should not build the package at all.  Fixing a bug quickly
> is no excuse for making the bug in the first place.
To my memory, I haven't had any bugs related to extra deps being
pulled in because of not building in a chroot. I was talking about the
bugs in a more general sense.