[arch-dev-public] chroots config question

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 18:27:23 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Paul Mattal <paul at mattal.com> wrote:
> Allan McRae wrote:
>>
>> Paul Mattal wrote:
>>>
>>> Regarding the below:
>>>

>>> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Building_in_a_Clean_Chroot
>>>
>>> It reads:
>>>
>>> "The -C and -M flags are optional, but it is recommended to provide these
>>> with clean pacman.conf and makepkg.conf files (directly from the pacman
>>> package) during first creation of clean chroot to ensure lack of user
>>> specific adjustments."
>>>
>>> I think this is misleading. If you *don't* provide these arguments, what
>>> you get is the default config files directly from the pacman package, right?
>>> So the desired thing in most circumstances is, presumably, NOT to override?
>>
>> I believe it copies the local ones on your file system.  Perhaps that
>> should be changed...
>
> After building my chroot, the resulting pacman.conf inside it was different
> than my /etc/pacman.conf. I didn't see anything in mkarchroot to suggest it
> was doing anything special to those files unless the options are passed in,
> so it seemed to me like it must be, by default, just installing the default
> ones along with the pacman package.
>
> Can anyone confirm that's the intended behavior? It seems to be how it
> works, unless I'm missing something.

If the -C or -M flags are specified, it will copy that file into the
chroot. If not specified, it does nothing (leaving the stock files
from the packages installed). Additionally, the -C config is used when
running pacman to build the chroot. If you want to use a specific
pacman.conf for the building but NOT copy it to the chroot, the -n
flag does that. The intent here was to, do something like "mkarchroot
-C /etc/pacman-i686.conf -n foo/ base base-devel" to build an i686
chroot on an x86_64 system.