[arch-dev-public] Dumping klibc (WAS: Re: Changing raid/raid-partitions initcpio hooks)

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Wed Feb 18 20:38:06 EST 2009

Tobias Powalowski schrieb:
> Now comes the point, to achive this, mdadm will be needed in initramfs which
> means having a 900k static binary in early boot sequence.
> (raid-partitions hook already uses this binary)

I am really annoyed by the fact that almost nothing builds against klibc.

Wouldn't it be easier to switch to uclibc and busybox? Both are much
more powerful and we wouldn't need static binaries for lvm, cryptsetup
or mdadm. We would also have much less problems with all the ABI changes
that happen with klibc.

I thought we needed a complete toolchain for that, but Jan claimed that
it is possible to use our normal gcc and binutils for that.