[arch-dev-public] Dumping klibc (WAS: Re: Changing raid/raid-partitions initcpio hooks)

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 21:42:31 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 7:38 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Tobias Powalowski schrieb:
>>
>> Now comes the point, to achive this, mdadm will be needed in initramfs
>> which means having a 900k static binary in early boot sequence.
>> (raid-partitions hook already uses this binary)
>
> I am really annoyed by the fact that almost nothing builds against klibc.
>
> Wouldn't it be easier to switch to uclibc and busybox? Both are much more
> powerful and we wouldn't need static binaries for lvm, cryptsetup or mdadm.
> We would also have much less problems with all the ABI changes that happen
> with klibc.
>
> I thought we needed a complete toolchain for that, but Jan claimed that it
> is possible to use our normal gcc and binutils for that.

I would be in support of this, as I have seen some of the headaches
you have had to deal with when it comes to klibc. Assuming the initrd
images wouldn't be insanely sized, I don't think this is a problem.

The only real point of klibc is that it is much much smaller than a
full-blown glibc, correct?

-Dan