[arch-dev-public] [signoff] man-db 2.5.3-2 replacing man

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 16:21:40 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de> wrote:
> Am Thu, 19 Feb 2009 15:11:02 -0600
> schrieb Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Eric Bélanger
>> <snowmaniscool at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I was thinking the same about using a profile script. Maybe that
>> > variable can be set in the config file: etc/man_db.conf
>>
>> Adding -c to the TROFF and NROFF settings in man_db.conf fixes this
>>

> I'd like to leave the package plain upstream. Maybe we can put this
> into a wiki page where we also write down how man-pages have to be
> encoded and where to put.

Hmm, we ship modified config files for a lot of things (the "sane
defaults" rationale). This one seems cryptic enough to boggle most
people. It's not like there's a "turn_color_on = yes" setting... it's
a command line arg to groff, which most people haven't heard of... to
me it seems more beneficial to do it at the package level and we end
up with groff output as close to what we got with the 'man' package as
we can get.

I'll log a bug with upstream for this one