[arch-dev-public] [signoff] man-db 2.5.3-2 replacing man

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 17:41:47 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de> wrote:
>> Am Thu, 19 Feb 2009 15:11:02 -0600
>> schrieb Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>:

>>> Adding -c to the TROFF and NROFF settings in man_db.conf fixes this
>>>

>> I'd like to leave the package plain upstream. Maybe we can put this
>> into a wiki page where we also write down how man-pages have to be
>> encoded and where to put.
>
> Hmm, we ship modified config files for a lot of things (the "sane
> defaults" rationale). This one seems cryptic enough to boggle most
> people. It's not like there's a "turn_color_on = yes" setting... it's
> a command line arg to groff, which most people haven't heard of... to
> me it seems more beneficial to do it at the package level and we end
> up with groff output as close to what we got with the 'man' package as
> we can get.
>
> I'll log a bug with upstream for this one

Apparently Debian disables SGR output the same way we do some
character translations in the groff package:

The following is in /usr/share/groff/site-tmac/{man,mdoc}.local

if n \{\
. \" Debian: Disable the use of SGR (ANSI colour) escape sequences by
. \" grotty.
. if '\V[GROFF_SGR]'' \
. output x X tty: sgr 0
.\}

We could do the same, considering we already make additions to the
tmac files - would anyone be against this?