[arch-dev-public] Dumping klibc (WAS: Re: Changing raid/raid-partitions initcpio hooks)

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Feb 19 16:22:26 EST 2009

Aaron Griffin schrieb:
> I'd be for it too, but I'd like to actually SEE an implementation
> before we commit to anything.

I am not planning to commit to anything here, just seeing what the
general opinion is.

> This will increase our initramfs size,
> but it will also give us more functionality.

Okay, klibc takes 72KB, uClibc about 500KB (this is a copy built with
their buildroot, including the ld, libcrypt, libdl and so on) and I
think we can manually remove features we don't need. We will decrease
the size for lvm, raid and cryptsetup users, and we could also dump udev
and replace it with busybox's mdev I guess.

> I don't imagine much would need changing - just some of the tools used
> in the base mkinitcpio hook... and maybe removal or recompilation of
> much of the klibc-extras utilities.

Some of the scripts would be easier to write as some of the standard
tools are available (unlike with klibc).

> At the very least, we could stick a uclibc package in extra so that we
> could begin playing with this, right?

We don't have to stick it in extra to play with it. I don't know about
gcc spec files and such, maybe Jan can provide me with the links so I
can look at this trick he mentioned.