[arch-dev-public] My status, and future

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 14:17:13 EST 2009

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Eduardo Romero <k3nsai at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As many of you know by now, I have been brought up to the Arch Linux
> Team mostly for the Arch Linux Newsletter. Since then I have also been
> interested in some packages, which I have adopted and maintained. But,
> nothing last forever, the time I had to do all this things have been
> reduced greatly, and will be reduced furthermore when this next
> University semester arrives, which hopefully will be my last. Between
> work and University, I am going to only have Saturday and Sunday to
> actually use my computer in the way I would like. But I have a fiancee
> leaving me with only Sunday free at the most.
>
> Because of this, I have come up with a plan, I will orphan all my
> packages, but wine I will keep. And will focus on the newsletter, though
> in a reduced mode, since (pending announcement) I plan to delegate more
> power to another developer.
>
> I will orphan:
> nautilus-sendto, libgphoto2, gphoto2, gtkam, libexif-gtk, and sbackup
>
> Also, I won't be fixing anymore bugs for those packages, none has bugs
> right now anyways. But wicd which I upgraded some time ago have one bug
> open, which I won't fix, since I don't have the time, nor the way of
> testing it anymore, so if you are so kind, remove the assignment to me
> from that bug.
>
> All things, said, I wish I can focus in improving the newsletter in ways
> I have always thought possible, but never put much attention to. Expect
> to hear more from me, and still be involved, I will still try to help as
> much as I can. This is not a "I will gradually leave" is a "Soon I'll be
> back even stronger".

No worries, man. Real life is always more important, and I'm sure we
all understand.

I, for one, would love to see us get back to this a little bit more.
Right now we all seem to be maintaining packages that we're
more-or-less "forced to maintain". And it can be discouraging.
Doing the newsletter and only packages (wine) you WANT is actually
something I'd like to see more of us do (well, assuming we don't just
end up with a bajillion orphans), as it helps morale a bit.

Anyway, good luck with school / the fiance / life in general. I look
forward to the new and improved newsletter 8)