[arch-dev-public] xmms in extra

Eric Bélanger snowmaniscool at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 20:31:13 EST 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Dusty Phillips <buchuki at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/1/12 Dale Blount <dale at archlinux.org>:
>>> I think we have two options here:
>>> * We completely get rid of gtk and all packages which depend on it.
>>> * We allow xmms back into extra
>>>
>>> I'm fine with either one, but I do think it'd be silly not to move
>>> xmms to extra based on the usage stats
>>

>> I'm also fine either way, but remember, installed != used.  I have xmms
>> installed on both my workstations,
>
> Ageed. I have xmms installed because its a dep for one of my quod
> libet plugins. I accidentally opened it the other day and was
> surprised to find it installed. ;-)
>
> Also: if xmms has a high enough usage to be in extra, I assume gtk's
> usage stats are even higher. So whatever arguments for
> keeping/discarding xmms based on statistics will also apply to gtk.
>
> Dusty

gtk has a usage of 55.82 %.  If we remove gtk, we'll also need to
remove pacaackages such as imlib which is a depends for stuff like
fvwm and icewm. It makes more sense to keep gtk in extra and to move
xmms in extra.

BTW, the new bluez package in testing depends on glib. So removing gtk
but keeping glib in extra doesn't make much sense either.

As for xmms popularity, the community package has 90 votes so there is
definitely interest in it.