[arch-dev-public] install scripts in core

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sat Jan 31 06:44:15 EST 2009

Hi,

After the recent issues with install scriplets failing depending on the
order packages were installed, I decided to do a complete review of the
install files for every package in [core].  Here is a list of packages
and commands they use which are not in their dependency tree:

dbus-core:
  passwd (shadow)

e2fsprogs:
  install-info (texinfo)

fakeroot
  echo (coreutils)

filesystem:
  chmod (coreutils)
  grep

heimdal
  install-info (texinfo)

inetutils
  install-info (texinfo)

ipw2100-fw
  cat (coreutils)

ipw2200-fw
  cat (coreutils)

libsasl
  cat (coreutils)

mlocate:
  echo (coreutils)

ndiswrapper
  perl - /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper: /usr/bin/perl: bad interpreter: No such
file or directory

tiacx-firmware
  cat (coreutils)

udev:
  filesystem - warning: can't open /etc/fstab: No such file or directory

The install-info ones can be fixed without adding an additional dep in
the same way as readline, bash and glibc now do.  All the cat and echo
calls can probably be replaced with a bash builtin (printf) although I
have not tested.  The others should have dependencies added to stop
install script failures but I have not check if that would create loops
(I think most are fine).

The install scripts for lilo and vi also fail if bash is not installed
(for some unknown reason).  Lilo is just and old style "/bin/true"
script so is easily fixed but I do not understand these two issues...

Allan