[arch-dev-public] install scripts in core

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sat Jan 31 07:50:09 EST 2009

Allan McRae schrieb:
> dbus-core:
>  passwd (shadow)

Add it.

> e2fsprogs:
>  install-info (texinfo)

Quite a few things depend on e2fsprogs, I wouldn't be surprised if there
was another dep loop if we add it. I suggest the same magic as for glibc.

> fakeroot
>  echo (coreutils)

echo is a shell builtin, /bin/echo will never be used.

> filesystem:
>  chmod (coreutils)
>  grep

Add it.

> heimdal
>  install-info (texinfo)
>
> inetutils
>  install-info (texinfo)
>
> ipw2100-fw
>  cat (coreutils)
>
> ipw2200-fw
>  cat (coreutils)
>
> libsasl
>  cat (coreutils)

The above shouldn't be a problem, add them.

> mlocate:
>  echo (coreutils)

see above.

> ndiswrapper
>  perl - /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper: /usr/bin/perl: bad interpreter: No such
> file or directory
>
> tiacx-firmware
>  cat (coreutils)

Can be added too.

> udev:
>  filesystem - warning: can't open /etc/fstab: No such file or directory

This is a warning from mount for the post-install /dev nodes magic.
Shouldn't be a problem, as we don't need fstab (mount still tries to
open it, /me shrugs).

> The install-info ones can be fixed without adding an additional dep in
> the same way as readline, bash and glibc now do.  All the cat and echo
> calls can probably be replaced with a bash builtin (printf) although I
> have not tested.  The others should have dependencies added to stop
> install script failures but I have not check if that would create loops
> (I think most are fine).

Add the install-info like in glibc in cases of packages that are very
low-level and might potentially create loops. For the others, I'm okay
with a dep.

As I said, echo is a shell builtin, and unless we call /bin/echo
explicitly, the builtin will be used (it's not only a builtin in bash,
but also dash, so we should be fine). We could replace 'cat XYZ |
command' with 'command < XYZ'.

> The install scripts for lilo and vi also fail if bash is not installed
> (for some unknown reason).  Lilo is just and old style "/bin/true"
> script so is easily fixed but I do not understand these two issues...

No idea here too, maybe one of the commands calls /bin/sh or so. Making
lilo and vi depend on "sh" or so is okay IMO.